Accounting is a business studies option within the Leaving Certificate programme. It is concerned with the preparation, recording, extraction, presentation and analysis of financial information for the purpose of making economic decisions.
- It develops problem-solving and computational skills and an awareness and recognition of the consequences of error
- It develops skills in the use of figures in business communications, in analysis and in decision-making
- It provides a subject choice for those students who have an aptitude for numerical skills
- It cultivates mental discipline, develops the powers of concentration and fosters critical thinking, logical organisation and orderly presentation
- It facilitates the acquisition of a language which is universally used in communications within the business world and within society at large.
- It links the accounting process with Information Technology
- It fosters the concept of accountability.